|   All Languages   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Anglicko-slovenský slovník

Online Dictionary Slovak-English: Enter keyword here!
  ÁáČč...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|New Website|About|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Slowakisch
 Words on back of photo »
« War letters from Plzen to Serbia Prison Camp    

Slovak-English Translation of
Three WWI postcards

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
Three  WWI postcards from parents in Bohemia to Bohuš (son) in Italy  
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-03-28, 16:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks very much for your valuable translating help.   Could you look at these three letters from 1915?  I realise the third one is of poor quality so if it's too difficult please don't worry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ukgl2f787odhv8/1b%20Konrad%20in%20CZ%20t...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk67sakmm1cbk34/3b%20Konrad%20in%20CZ%20t...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39jvg6y4kkevbna/4b%20Konrad%20in%20CZ%20t...
Answer:
Three  WWI postcards from parents in Bohemia to Bohuš (son) in Italy 1  #867772
by renbyska (SK), 2017-03-30, 15:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Card 5 - 1st link
"16/8 1915
(Our) very dear Bohuš!
Were the war prisoners allowed to receive packages"
(I´m not sure whether this was meant as a question, the word order suggests so but the question mark is missing)
cont.: "we sent you two sets of underwewar, if you´ll receive them, then write us what you would need, we will be happy to send it to you. When" (or "if" or perhaps "once") "it is permitted, we would send it to you. If you were allowed" (or maybe "if you were able") to write to us, tell us via which bank did you receive that money, we would sent it to you in the same way, you would never get it by post. We had been sending it to you many times already, so we don´t know which one" (=bank) "delivered it to you. How many cards have you received from us by now? We send you, our dear Bohuš, our cordial kisses. Your sincere parents." (translated literally instead of formally: Yours sincerely...)
Chat:    
Letter response  #867776
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-03-30, 16:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks very much Renata.  I was told this style of writing is old Czech so it must be difficult to translate.

I wasn't aware Bohuš was in war prison so early in the war.  The letter seems quite a desperate and frustrated tone.  It's quite sad really.
Answer:
Three  WWI postcards from parents in Bohemia to Bohuš (son) in Italy 2  #867817
by renbyska (SK), Last modified: 2017-03-31, 11:14  like dislike  Spam?  
"10/6 1915
Dear Bohuš!
Today we have received two cards from you, we were very happy; we are glad you are well, however sad about one thing: that you are receiving no money or cards from us. We had sent you more than 90 zl already. And we had been sending it by telegraphic transfer and we are writing to you constantly. We always write to Frantík and he is sending them to you and yet we do not know what to do. Take care, dear Bohuš, with the help of God this will still come to an end one day. We all send you our cordial kisses.
Your parents"

Just one note to "90 zl". This was supposed to mean "90  zlatých", roughly translated as "guldens". "Zlatý" or "zlatka" (originally meaning a golden coin) had been the means of payment in the Austrian-Hungarian Empire until 1892 when it was replaced by "koruna" - "crown". The name "zlatý" was still used afterwards, too, with the common people.

I am sorry, the rest at the right edge of this card is completely illegible. So is the third photo which is very blur. I can hardly make out anything of it, just a word or two here and there which would say nothing without context. Maybe you could try and get a more sharp picture from your source.
Chat:    
Second letter  #867824
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-03-31, 12:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you very much for the translation.  Although I'd hoped for more diverse topics, it is nevertheless an interesting insight into the priorities for prisoners of war and their families.    I'll try to get a better copy of the blurred third letter.
Chat:    
Frantik or Frantikova  #867829
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-03-31, 13:45  like dislike  Spam?  
One question I had, could the name which was mentioned be Frantíkova, and so a woman?   It seems to have more letters after it, or is that grammatical. Frantik seems like a man's first name though, so would it be usual for that term to be used for a wife?
Answer:
Frantik or Frantikova  #867830
by renbyska (SK), 2017-03-31, 14:13  like dislike  Spam?  
"a vždy píšeme Frantíkov(i ?)"
It´s true that the suffix here is not transparent but if this was supposed to be a woman, then the grammatical case form should have been "Frantíkové" (to whome - Dative) and then it would be a family name. There is no such a first name for a woman, the female form is "Františka", it is the official first name, the nickname would be e.g. "Francka (most frequently); "Frantík" is a male nickname to "František".
The sentence then follows "a on ti je posílá", "on" = "he", there is no doubt about it.
Nevertheless, when I will have translated all of the cards , hopefully we will be able to figure out these discrepancies.

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
Slovak-English online dictionary (Anglicko-slovenský slovník) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement