All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Anglicko-slovenský slovník

Online Dictionary Slovak-English: Enter keyword here!
 ÁáČč...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Slowakisch
 Three WWI postcards from parents in Bohemia to... »
« Two letters    

Slovak-English Translation of
War letters from

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
War letters from Plzen to Serbia Prison Camp  
by JamesPleski (UN), Last modified: 2017-03-31, 14:32  Spam?  
These are stamped from "Frantisek Berka, Plzen".  It seems to be two different writers.  I don't know how this surname Berka is related to Bohuš.   Perhaps he is an uncle on the mother's side. I can tell even with my limited translating skill that much of  the content is about sending supplies and money, but nevertheless, please:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3pyed4ip6rpqjz/1b%20Fran%20Berka%20to%20...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv33qoksseoazci/4b%20Fran%20Berka%20to%20...
Answer:
War letters from Plzen to Serbia Prison Camp 1  #867939
by renbyska (SK), Last modified: 2017-04-02, 17:53  Spam?  
Dear Bohouš!
The last card which was on its way about two months finally came through to us and we have sent it to your mom. You write you had received one money delivery already but you don´t mention how much and by whome“ (i.e. which bank) „it was delivered.
Like we wrote you last time, you had several financial deliveries on their way, so hopefully you received some of them in the meantime. Just ask and let us know by whome (by which bank or whether through Switzerland) the money was delivered, we would send it to you in  the same way again. Just be patient and take care of yourself, they are all in good health at home and so are we. From Boskovice and Neckář. they´re sending you their best regards. Write back to us soon and more, especially how quickly you get the letters. Mom wants to send you some shoes and underwear, we are not sure, however, when you´ll get it.
With cordial greetings and kisses
the Berkas“ (i.e. Berka family)

One more note to the sentence: "Z Boskovic a Neckář. Tě pozdravují."  I´m not sure wether these two names refer to geagraphical places (villages, towns ?). "Boskovice" (plural name) is definitely a town in Bohemia, namely in South Moravia; "Neckář." (with full stop) seems to be an abbreviation of some full name, I couldn´t find anything on the map, however. Not even as a hint to any place called this name in the past.
Another possibility is that these two names are family names used in the sentence in an archaic manner and the meaning would be then, some of the members of the families Boska (or Bosko) and Neckář are sending their regards. The fact is that "Neckář" is a Czech family name, "Boska" or "Bosko"on the other hand came out zero after browsing.
Chat:    
Letter 1  #867948
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-04-02, 18:23  Spam?  
Thank you.  I don't know what or whom "Z Boskovic a Neckář. Tě pozdravují." refers to.   And there isn't enough information yet to explain who the Berkas are and how they're related to Bohous.   I was hoping the word "mom" might contextualize it, but it's quite ambiguous. Hopefully another letter will clarify it.  

One thing that seems to be indicated is that the writer of the other letters is the mother, not the father, though I don't actually know her name because she keeps signing it "your parents" and she addresses the letter with her husband's name.
Answer:
Letter 1  #867950
by renbyska (SK), 2017-04-02, 18:49  Spam?  
I´d like to say one more thing as far far as "maminka" (=mom) is concerned. I really can´t tell from the text whose mother it shold be, so I better do not add any possessive pronouns - "your" or so.

The second letter is much more difficult to read, I think I could not do it until tomorrow, I hope it´s O.K. with you.
Chat:    
Letter 2  #867975
by JamesPleski (UN), Last modified: 2017-04-04, 03:40  Spam?  
That's fine thanks.  There's another letter from the same person which might be easier to do before the above

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4kh82i093o88nn/3b%20Frantisek%20Berka%20...

And another from the female Berka:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2imsrihvnmirsaq/2b%20Frantisek%20Berka%20...
Answer:
Letter 2  #868024
by renbyska (SK), Last modified: 2017-04-07, 17:58  Spam?  
"Plzeň 19./3. 1915
Dear Bohouš!
I have received your card from February 15 today and I am still waiting for the message whether you got the money. The parents had sent you 50 zl (crowns) by postal orders and I myself 20 zl (crowns) via bank. When you had telegraphed and asked for money, I telegraphed back to you that it was not good“ (? not quite clear) „to send money telegraphically. We would send you more but if we don´t know whether you get the money, it´s no use in doing it. Uncle Tib** (?) joined the army, too and is on maybe temporary“ (? not quite sure about having read it right) „leave, so perhaps I will be  conscripted into the army myself. Just be patient and take care of yourself, you are a reasonable young man after all, you are in good health, so you´ll endure bad times with the help of God, then you´ll visit us in Plzeň and we will be very happy to see you. Mother wrote to us that you wrote to her that you don´t get any letters from them, although they have been writing to you all the time. We are often thinking of you, all of us. So let us know, Bohouš, whether you received the money and when you will have it, also your mood will be brighter. At your home, they are all well.
God be with you. Regards. Uncle Frant.“
On the left margin:
„(Your) Aunt and N**** send their kisses“ (illegible name)
Chat:    
Letter 2  #868040
by JamesPleski (UN), Last modified: 2017-04-04, 04:55  Spam?  
Thank you for this difficult translation. It's really useful information, as one can deduce that Frantik was my great grandmother's brother, so her maiden name was Berka.  It's a pity the "Uncle Tibil/Pibil?" name is obscure.    I can't find any Czech names or nicknames that fit that shape.   The Aunt might be the female writing the other letters.
Answer:
Letter 3 June 10, 1915  #868050
by renbyska (SK), 2017-04-04, 10:51  Spam?  
"Dear Bohouš!
We had received your card and we replied the day before yesterday, too. Let us know right away whether  you got some money. Write to us whether the other war prisoners get money and by which means. We will be happy to send it to you, we just wish we knew how. Your mom does not receive any desired news. At your home they´re all well and there´s nothing new. We are looking forward to your coming home in good health, Aunt Nanuta sends her cordial greetings and me, too. Your uncle
Berka.

Plzeň June 10, 1915"

Now I think, I got the name "Nanuta" right.
Chat:    
Letter 3  #868055
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-04-04, 12:10  Spam?  
They're really having trouble getting that money through!  It seems very expensive being a war prisoner.  

Do you think Nanuta is a first name or a family name?
Answer:
Zdenek in Chotebor to Bohous in Serbia  #868135
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-04-05, 03:38  Spam?  
I'm not sure why there are two writings on this one. Perhaps Zdenek is a child and a parent took over writing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh0pry2x46dm575/1b%20unkown%20to%20bohus%...
Answer:
Letter 3 Nanuta  #868176
by renbyska (SK), 2017-04-05, 15:26  Spam?  
I think it is definitely not a family name, it lacks the suffix -ová. It could be a first name, though I´ve never heard of it, but more probably a nickname. ´
Now I will continue with letter 4 from the pair 3-4.
Answer:
Letter 4 June (hopefully) 9, 1915  #868255
by renbyska (SK), 2017-04-06, 17:59  Spam?  
„Dear Bohouš!
Your card from May 28 came today. It is strange though that you received no money until now. (Your?) Uncle had sent you 20 K (crowns) on January 16 via discount bank, then 30 crowns  on April 30 via Switzerland, 40 crowns telegraphically via Plzen bank, and 50 crowns via Plzen bank on June 7, but everything to the old address in Zaječar, hopefully you can claim it. In addition to that, your parents had sent you 50 crowns I think by means of the Red Cross. We replied to your telegram telegraphically instead of parents. Take care of yourself and be patient, you´ll come back again after all. At your home they´re all well, just your mom worries about you very much. It won´t take long and uncle will have to join the army as well. We wish you good health. And write back whether you received the money, claim it, there must be somebody who will  advise you about how to arrange it. It is not possible to transfer money telegraphically now.
We send you our cordial regards
Uncle and aunt and Věrka“ (??? I really can´t make it out)
„Berka
June 9, 1915" (it looks like 9 in: 9.6.1915)
Note on the left margin: „Let us know whether the other prisoners get the money.“
Chat:    
Letter 4  #868276
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-04-07, 02:57  Spam?  
Thank you for the translation.   I have to feel sorry for these people, experiencing so much uncertainty and sending so much money away with no word of where it went.  I hope they got the money back eventually.

The signature definitely has the letters 'Věr'.  Perhaps it's a shortened version of Veronika.   I don't know anything apart from what has been translated so far.    Perhaps some of the other family letters might clarify who they are.
Answer:
Letter 4 Věr**  #868293
by renbyska (SK), 2017-04-07, 16:38  Spam?  
With a caron on the letter "e", i.e. with "ě", it can´t be Veronika; most probably it is "Věrka", a hypocorism for "Věra".
Answer:
Zdeněk in Chotěbor to Bohouš in Serbia   #868302
by renbyska (SK), 2017-04-07, 18:28  Spam?  
„Dearest Bohuš!
We wrote to you so many times and we still  don´t know whether you received some cards. We are thinking of you all the time and we can´t wait for this to be over; we are all well so far and we hope you are also in good health.“
(change of writer)
„Dearest Bohuš! Zdeněk wanted to write to you but he doesn´t know what else to put down so I must finish it. You´ve mentioned that we don´t write to you. I have written to you at least 20 letters until now and we feel very sad that you´re not getting anything from us. Neither we have received anything, any card from you for a long time. If only God put an end to this. Let us know whether you obtained the money. All the best to you and may God keep you healthy. We are sending you our kisses, all of us.
Your sincere Aunt" (archaic closing formula)
"Zdeněk P.“
On the far right in the upper half, there seems to be the date: 9.3.1915 = March 9, 1915

As to the first part of the letter by Zdeněk, it really seems to be written by a boy, the handwriting looks insecure and is full of spelling errors, like "y/i" which has always been a children´s nightmare.
Chat:    
Comment  #868303
by renbyska (SK), 2017-04-07, 18:30  Spam?  
In the "Letter 2", I´ve made some minor amendments, please check.
Now I suggest to start a new question/answer set , this has become a little bit confusing already.
Chat:    
Zdenek and aunt  #868308
by JamesPleski (UN), Last modified: 2017-04-08, 02:58  Spam?  
Thanks. I know he was wounded in December 1914, so probably he was being moved around.   Zdenek has the same surname as Bohus, so this letter would indicate that the aunt who is writing must be related by marriage.  This suggests Konrad the father had a brother in the same town who married this woman, but I don't know his name (or hers).

Sadly those 20 letters must have gotten lost because he never kept them.   I only have this one letter from Zdenek and this aunt.   Possibly the letters weren't getting past censorship.  

PS I'm not familiar with the word hypocorism, though it exists in the dictionary and is translated as "nickname".  It seems to be a word which continues to be used in other languages but not English.
Answer:
hypocorism  #868466
by renbyska (SK), 2017-04-10, 17:36  Spam?  
Sorry, hypocorism is not very frequent word, in linguistics it means a nickname but more specifically a name of endearment.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypocorism

Now I only peeped in for a while and I will be able to get back to the translations tomorrow. I hope it won´ t cause any inconvenience.
Chat:    
by JPleski, 2017-04-11, 07:54  Spam?  168.1.6...
That's fine thanks. I'm always very interested in finding out who the people in the letters are, but it's not an urgent matter and it can wait.

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Slovak-English online dictionary (Anglicko-slovenský slovník) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads