All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   PT   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   BS   |   SK   FR   HU   IS   NL   PL   ES   RU   SQ   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   PT   DA   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Anglicko-slovenský slovník

Online Dictionary Slovak-English: Enter keyword here!
  ÁáČč...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Slowakisch

Report Spam

Use this page to report the forum entry below as spam. The text of the entry will be hidden automatically as soon as three registered users reported it. In case an entry was marked as spam erroneously you can also vote against it, so the amount of spam votes needed is increased by one.

Is this an unwanted entry (spam)?
You have to be logged in as a registered user to be able to vote. This measure should avoid possible abuse of this function. Login | Sign Up

Answer:
Bohouš Bohuš...  #867675
by renbyska (SK), 2017-03-29, 09:31  like dislike  Spam?  
I don´t think they´re various names for various people. On the very first photo I read, or at least it looked like (you yourself wrote it, too) "Bohuš" but you know how one is used to sign his/her name, sometimes you can´t even distinguish individual letters. Actually, the nickname here should be most likely "BOHOUŠ" since this is the original Czech form (the Slovak form is then "Bohuš"). But maybe he had been called both names.
As to Bohumír and Bohumil: these are the official forms of two different first names. "Bohumír" comes from German "Gottfried" and can be translated as "peace of God", the EN equivalent to it is Geoffrey. "Bohumil" is a translation from Greek "Theophilos", meaning "favoured by God".
However, it was not unusual in the past not to care about precision and the names were often put in the official documents with errors, just the way a clerk heard them. I myself have three official documents with my name in three different transcriptions. So it is possible that these two names had been simply mistaken and apply to one person only.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2021 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
Slovak-English online dictionary (Anglicko-slovenský slovník) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement