All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   PT   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   BS   |   SK   FR   IS   HU   NL   PL   ES   RU   SQ   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   PT   DA   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Anglicko-slovenský slovník

Online Dictionary Slovak-English: Enter keyword here!
  ÁáČč...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Slowakisch
 Information about a change in the guidelines re... »
« Gladiator - Slovensko    

Slovak-English Translation of
{pl} tag

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
{pl} tag  
by renbyska (SK), 2016-09-10, 18:39  like dislike  Spam?  
I´d like to submit this problem for a discussion in order to achieve an agreement in using the {pl} tag with nouns in plural in each language of the EN-SK language pair when contributing. Should be {pl} placed with just one or can be placed with both languages? The GL-7 says:

PLURAL / SINGULAR TAGS
"For nouns in languages without grammatical gender, such as English, Hungarian or Turkish, use {pl} and {sg} in the respective field to denote plural or singular if unusual or different from the grammatical number in the other language.
If both languages in the pair have no grammatical gender, use the tags when the grammatical number is not the same on both sides."

In the DE-EN dict.cc plural tag is used with one language only:
http://www.dict.cc/english-german/books.html
http://www.dict.cc/english-german/hands.html etc.

It comes out for me that according to this rule, the DE-SK part should or could have {pl} tag on both sides, for exapmple:
http://browse.dict.cc/slowakisch-deutsch/paraolympijsk%C3%A9+hry.html

How should it look in EN-SK? I was totally perplexed by the interpretation of this rule, anyway I would prefer using the {pl} tag on both sides of the contribution form, too. It sounds logical and makes sense to me. So, what do you think? Any idea is highly welcome.
Answer:
by Paul (AT), 2016-09-11, 13:37  like dislike  Spam?  
SK has gender tags, EN has none. So it's like in German-English.
Chat:    
{pl} tag  #853843
by renbyska (SK), 2016-09-11, 17:55  like dislike  Spam?  
I´m sorry but I still don´t understand whether a translation of substantives both in plural form can be posted with {pl} tag on both sides. And can it posted in both Slovak language pairs (EN-SK and DE-SK) in the same way? For example:
SK Olympijské hry {pl} = DE Olympische Spiele {pl}
SK Olympijské hry {pl} = EN Olympic Games {pl}

I would highly appreciate an answer. Thank you.
Answer:
by Paul (AT), 2016-09-11, 20:48  like dislike  Spam?  

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2021 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
Slovak-English online dictionary (Anglicko-slovenský slovník) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement