All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   PT   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   BS   |   SK   FR   HU   IS   NL   PL   ES   SQ   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   PT   DA   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Anglicko-slovenský slovník

Online Dictionary Slovak-English: Enter keyword here!
  ÁáČč...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Slowakisch
 WWI postcard sent from Italy to East Bohemia »
« Three WWI postcards from parents in Bohemia to...    

Slovak-English Translation of
Words on back of

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
Words on back of photo  
by JamesPleski (UN), Last modified: 2017-03-28, 08:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Could someone tell me what the words are on back of this photo?  I can't read them at all.  Many thanks.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rz31c0u6gac5be/Photo1_back.jpg?dl=0

And also this one if possible, sorry I don't have a clearer photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8vke5sdemk0adp/Photo2_back.jpg?dl=0
Answer:
Words on back of photo  #867619
by renbyska (SK), 2017-03-28, 10:21  like dislike  Spam?  
As far as I can tell, it looks like this:

1. "Jindra, paní Lucasová (split), p. Černická (Bojda - podnájem)"
which can be read in English as "Jindra, Mrs. Lucas, Mrs. Černická (Bojda - lodgings)"
Explanatory notes:
- Jindra - a nickname for Jindřich = Henry
- paní Lucasová (split) - I believe, Mrs. Lucas is an English surname because this name with "c" does not occur in our (Czech or Slovak) languages and the photo was presumably taken in maybe the USA which would account for the English note "split" in brackets, too (but I really can´t tell why, maybe it refered to divorce ???)
- Bojda - a family name again, with dash - lodgings. However, I dare not explain the meaning.

2. "p.  ???, prababička" = "Mrs. (illegible name), great grandmother".

Renata
Answer:
Thank you, can you look at these?  #867633
by JamesPleski (UN), Last modified: 2017-03-28, 14:39  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you Renata. That's a great help.  Jindra I believe is my great uncle, and at least I know that the woman is my 2nd great grandmother.

If you have a chance, could you have a look at these three photos?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5542x2wnj3gbl9l/photo3_back.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkac3qmkhnudvms/photo4_back.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4e1nqdd92r5wlnx/photo5_back.jpg?dl=0

Many thanks.
Chat:    
Lucasová (split) ?  #867635
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-03-28, 14:34  like dislike  Spam?  
One thing I wondered, could "split" just mean "middle", as in middle of photo?
Answer:
Lucasová (split)  #867639
by renbyska (SK), 2017-03-28, 16:47  like dislike  Spam?  
"Split" is an English word and now that I´m thinking of it, yes, it could be interpreted as a person splitting, dividing the two other people.
Answer:
photos 3, 4, 5  #867651
by renbyska (SK), 2017-03-28, 18:15  like dislike  Spam?  
Photo 3 reads
"Matilda, dědova první žena", "Ateliér Dvořák,  Něm. Brod"
EN - "Matilda, grandfather´s first wife", "(photo) studio Dvořák, Něm. Brod"
Něm. Brod = Německý Brod, until 1945 name of the Czech town nowadays called Havlíčkův Brod"

Photo 4
"7 Upomínka před odjezdem" = EN "for remembrance before departure"
"1/19 Marš-Batt. 21 Reg." = "maršbatalión 21. regiment" = EN "march bataillon 21st regiment"
where march bataillon was a military unit leaving for the front
"IV zuk" - I believe it could mean German "Zug" = EN "train"
"Via Rusko" = "Via Russia"
hopefully I can read "Via" (?) right, it should then mean "through Russia"

Photo 5
"Po krásné půlhodinové přestávce nastupujeme spět na své působiště. Bohouš"
EN "After a nice half-an-hour break we go back to our place of operation." (? something like that, maybe simply "to our positions" or so) "Bohouš."
Chat:    
Is Bohouš the same as Bohuš?  #867663
by JamesPleski (UN), 2017-03-29, 01:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks very much.   Is the nickname Bohouš the same as Bohuš ?  On various documents there are the names Bohus, Bohumir, and Bohumil.  Do you think they're three different brothers?  I have another photo with 4 young boys, so I'm trying to work out their names.
Answer:
Bohouš Bohuš...  #867675
by renbyska (SK), 2017-03-29, 09:31  like dislike  Spam?  
I don´t think they´re various names for various people. On the very first photo I read, or at least it looked like (you yourself wrote it, too) "Bohuš" but you know how one is used to sign his/her name, sometimes you can´t even distinguish individual letters. Actually, the nickname here should be most likely "BOHOUŠ" since this is the original Czech form (the Slovak form is then "Bohuš"). But maybe he had been called both names.
As to Bohumír and Bohumil: these are the official forms of two different first names. "Bohumír" comes from German "Gottfried" and can be translated as "peace of God", the EN equivalent to it is Geoffrey. "Bohumil" is a translation from Greek "Theophilos", meaning "favoured by God".
However, it was not unusual in the past not to care about precision and the names were often put in the official documents with errors, just the way a clerk heard them. I myself have three official documents with my name in three different transcriptions. So it is possible that these two names had been simply mistaken and apply to one person only.

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2021 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
Slovak-English online dictionary (Anglicko-slovenský slovník) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement